Best-practice Tips to Increase Your Conversion Rates
Christmas and the Holiday Season are going to be upon us before we know it. Over the last couple of weeks we’ve talked about how to drive more customers into a store and how to increase your email database, but if you’re an Ecommerce Webmaster it’s always good to look at ways to increase your website conversion rate. Here’s some best-practice quick tips!
Ensure key information is prominent on your website
This seems obvious, but having these messages clearly displayed on the website is a must:
- Your returns/ exchanges policy. A buyer knowing that the person that they’re gifting can exchange their present easily and with ample time might be the difference between purchasing and looking elsewhere
- Last order dates. Or to be more exact, the last date that someone can order to receive the delivery before Christmas, as well as the estimated time that deliveries will take (for example: 1 day in Auckland, 2 days for anywhere else in NZ)
- Value Propositions More specifically any Christmas or Holiday specials, deals or offers that you’re currently marketing
Make sure that you’re offering Free Delivery on all orders.
This might sacrifice some of your margins but it eliminates one of the biggest barriers for people clicking ‘add to cart’ according to Econsultancy. Like the points above ensure that this is clear on all pages not just your homepage. If you can’t offer free delivery on all orders, at least offer it on minimum spend purchases (for example, sales over $50).
Create targeted gift categories to make it easy for users to find the perfect gift.
Depending on what your product is, create new categories on your website and make it as easy as possible for users to navigate to these categories. Some great examples are:
- Stocking Fillers
- Corporate Gifts
- Gifts For Her/ Gifts For Him
- Gifts For Under $50
- Best Sellers
During the shopping cart process:
- Eliminate as many steps as possible
- Ensure you have a ‘Guest’ option so that buyers don’t have to create an Account
- Make it easy for users to select a gift-wrapping option if you have this available
Why stop there? Some ways to increase conversions AFTER the 24th of December:
- Ensure any buyer is added to your email database
- Start your Boxing Day specials on Christmas Day. People open their gifts (such as iPads, other electronics etc) on Christmas and need accessories for them – so make sure your website is in the mix
- Send them an discount/ coupon that can be redeemed in January
- Engage with them on Social Media to encourage new customers to share/ like the deals that you’re marketing to them
The Silly Season is such an important time of year for retailers so make sure your website has its best-foot-forward and follows ‘best practice’ when it comes to conversions.